Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Fondant Fun

Okay, so as Megan already said, my first experience with fondant was for her son's first birthday. And I was intriqued to say the least.....I had seen the pictures of her sister's cake and then after witnessing the Curious George cake first-hand, I figured, why not??? And why not try it for my daughter's first birthday, when I am already trying to prepare for a birthday party for 60 people??? I was definitely working under a bit of pressure. So I decided to tackle making a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse themed cake. And with sticking with our name, I did not start the whole process until after my daughter was in bed, so I was up until well after midnight getting the cake set for the party the next day. Now let me admit, it was A LOT of work and A LOT of fun!!! It was far from perfect- there were folds and wrinkles ....I thought the worst part was covering the cake layers in fondant. Rolling and coloring that fondant was NO fun! After that, it was like working with playdough. I also describe it as scrapbooking on a cake. 
So I found myself totally getting into the decorating. My favorite part of the cake was the actual clubhouse that I made out of fondant and placed it on the side of the cake. The best part was knowing that I had made the cake for her. It was a white cake with vanilla buttercream frosting. I got a lot of satisfaction knowing that I had baked and decorated the cake to celebrate my daughter's very special day! But, I think that next time I want to use fondant just for fun, with no deadlines or pressure!!

1 comment: