Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Time with Fondant..

Okay, I confess, I probably watch the Food Network Channel a little too much. Particularly any shows/challenges to do with baking, especially cakes! Finally I decided I had watched enough Food Network Cake Challenges that I was ready to play with this fondant stuff on my own. I decided that I wanted to decorate a cake with fondant for my son's first birthday party. So of course I needed to make at least one before the party to practice. My practice cake was my twin sister's (Sara) 30th Birthday cake. Believe me - it was FAR from perfect!  Lot's of unevenness, bumps, cracks and just plain imperfections. In fact - the pictures look better than the actual cake did. But most importantly - it was FUN!! I have decided that fondant is basically play-doh for adults, except it is sweet! So about a month later - with Kelly by my side I tackled my son's birthday cake. It came out better than I expected, I definitely owe this to Kelly's presence and moral support in the kitchen at the time. Of course - one of the things I was most proud of was the fact that I had made both cakes from scratch. My sister's cake was a white cake with raspberry buttercream and my son's cake was a yellow cake with strawberry buttercream!  Both were quite yummy if I do say so myself! Of course I forgot to mention the time factor involved in both of these cakes.. Sara's I started at around 8pm - so of course in keeping with the theme of this blog I finished it close to midnight! The Curious George cake however I started at 9am - and as a result finished it around 12:30pm - about 30minutes before the party began!!! Whew, that was a close one!! Alright enough about me what you really need to see is the first fondant covered cake that Kelly made - AWESOME!! A Mickey Mouse cake for her daughter's first birthday party!! Okay Kelly - the ball is in your court now - Let's see the cake and hear all the fun and gory details!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment